damson: ([SPN] bros | sam black leafy)
[personal profile] damson
Title: All Things Go
Author: Damson
Fandom: Supernatural
Rating: Gen
Spoilers: 2.01, 2.02.
[ An episode bridge (if you will) ~670 words.]

Notes: This is with many thanks to [livejournal.com profile] likethesun2 for the beta. She’s a gem, and so if there are any mistakes left in this, or any pieces of dodginess, it’s all my fault. Title rather gratefully nicked from a Sufjan Stevens track. This is set, as you shall see, between 2.01 and 2.02. Feedback is held and petted!


--

There was an entry at the back of John’s journal written in tidy black ink, two paragraphs on the inside of the back cover, on a page that would never fall out.

Two paragraphs where John implored anyone reading to burn his remains to ash and dust and smoke-filled air. Dean had hoped he’d never need to refer to those two small paragraphs, never have to look at them as an epilogue, never have to palm his father’s journal as a relic.

He’d always been terrified to be the last one reading, the last one, left behind. As it turned out, Sam sat two inches away from him on the bed when he’d flipped through the pages, when he’d handed it over, when Sam’s face crumpled as he read.

It turned out that being one of two left behind wasn’t any easier.

--

They burn John’s bones at the edge of Appalachian wilderness. It takes a day to set up the pyre, gather material to burn from damp log piles, collect the driest materials and lay their father out east to west. Sam’s hand shakes, hesitates, before he pours the salt. And when he hands the container over, Dean scatters a little more. Bobby brings with him a bundle of sandlewood and, before leaving, silently lays a hand on each of the boys’ shoulders.

By the time they finish, the sun has set, leaving the ground as cold as the body wrapped tightly in strips of cotton canvas.

They both light the fire, crouching bent on either side of the dry wood, allowing the flames to lick at the tinder and only standing back when the heat becomes too fierce to bear.

Dean moves away more slowly. His skin is flushed, slightly sunburnt from the day’s work, scarified by the heat. His eyes are dry now, have been all day. Sam’s blinking, wishing he could close himself off, just for a while; just until the pain isn’t as centred, isn’t clutching at his chest and making it difficult to breath. Just until he discovers a way to let it out. But he opens his eyes and there’s nothing but fire, Dean rock-solid but still as death itself by his side, the smell of wood and night falling around them, slow and dewy.

They’re silent together for a long time, move back a little further as the flames reach John’s body, curl welcomingly around it. It’s the only light for miles, bright and harsh this close, but only a flicker on the rolling landscape.

Sam chokes on his words, can’t help it, and is powerless to stop the dampness on his face. He blinks away invading images, struggles to focus, scuffs his boots into the dusty earth to rediscover gravity.

“Before,” he says.

And he’s helpless to relate the ridiculous enormity he’s feeling, get his lips to move over one stupid word. To ask the question. Finally. It’s taken him days to ask, and if he doesn’t he knows it’ll stay with him for an eternity of days after. Sticky and hard in his gut like so many little lies and imagined betrayals, so many missing pieces of his childhood.

“Before he… Did he say anything to you?” He’s desperate. If only to hear his brother’s voice again, desperate for the one chance in a million that it might offer reassurance. When he was little, that was all that it took.

“Bout anything?” he almost whispers, but manages to make it sound stronger than it feels.

Dean’s so still for a moment it’s as if he’s trying to disappear again.

“No.” It’s raw and it’s as final as the molecules in the air, the smoke blowing in their faces, the stinging in their eyes.

“Nothin’.”

They stay at the edge of the clearing until dawn, taking the last warmth their father has to give. And when the sun rolls above the horizon to the east, Bobby arrives with a flask of dirt-black coffee, splashed with his best whiskey, and three empty mugs.

--

end.

Date: 2006-10-07 06:40 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] hiyacynth.livejournal.com
Oh holy hell, woman, you have slain me deader than I could have possibly hoped to be slain. This is so ... I'm lacking words right now. "digging a hole in my chest cavity with a fork" isn't perhaps the most elegant way to put it, but it's close.

That moment in the episode, with Sam asking if John said anything, it kills me, and you took it and suffused the entire story with it and so much more. Just... Yeah.

When Leigh told me yesterday that you were writing, I stepped back and took count of the people in our old BoB crew who are watching SPN now, and how many are writing, and the numbers are GOOD, and I can't tell you how happy that makes me.

Date: 2006-10-07 07:05 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] damson.livejournal.com
You're a kind woman. I'm sorry for having killed you. ;)

I've noticed the old BoB gals all crossing paths again with SPN, and writing, it makes me very happy to see too. :D

Date: 2006-10-08 01:10 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] likethesun2.livejournal.com
I keep coming back to this and rereading the ending, because it is so right, and I wish I could do that, write with that kind of quietness and restraint. Pretty, pretty, pretty (in the painful way).

Date: 2006-10-09 01:12 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] damson.livejournal.com
Thanks, and again for the beta.

I wish I could do that,
! I'm not even going to dignify that with an answer, because really, you probably know what I'm going to say anyway!

Date: 2006-10-08 02:09 pm (UTC)
ext_2469: (spn - yes but we're probably wrong)
From: [identity profile] the-oscar-cat.livejournal.com
They stay at the edge of the clearing until dawn, taking the last warmth their father has to give. And when the sun rolls above the horizon to the east, Bobby arrives with a flask of dirt-black coffee, splashed with his best whiskey, and three empty mugs.

...Wow.

You did good. :)

Date: 2006-10-09 01:18 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] damson.livejournal.com
Thanks. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

Date: 2006-10-08 05:51 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cunien.livejournal.com
Wow. Just wow. I've held off reading this till now as I've only just finished watching 'Everybody Loves a Clown' but...oh. So so so sad.

'taking the last warmth their father has to give.'

- is just so beautiful on so many levels. I adore the way you write. Thanks for sharing!
x.

Date: 2006-10-09 01:21 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] damson.livejournal.com
I know! I have to write something someday that doesn't make me all weepy in the process! lol.

Thank you though.

I can't wait to see what you've got up your sleeve. I hear you're maybe writing too?

Date: 2006-10-09 02:02 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] cunien.livejournal.com
Lol! I love the way the SPN love has swept across the BoB fandom and everyone's writing again! And we're all talking about it to each other!

*LOVES THIS FANDOM LIKE NOBODY'S BUSINESS*

Yep, I am attempting to write once more. Not sure if it's going to be of a particularly high standard, but I'll try my darndest!
x.

Date: 2006-10-09 12:49 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] pastdue.livejournal.com
gorgeous. i don't read as much as i have no idea why i happened to clickupon your link, but this is beautiful and spare and raw and exactly like i'd imagine it would be. thank you.

Date: 2006-10-09 01:22 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] damson.livejournal.com
No, thank you!
I'm really glad you enjoyed it and thanks for commenting.

Date: 2006-10-09 07:54 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] quellefromage.livejournal.com
Lovely. that's something I wanted to see, and you did a beautiful job with it. Thanks for sharing.

Date: 2006-10-12 10:36 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] damson.livejournal.com
No, thank you for taking the time to read! I'm glad you liked it.

Date: 2006-10-10 06:21 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] destina.livejournal.com
Such a beautiful, sparsely vivid description of what led up to the pyre. Thank you.

Date: 2006-10-12 10:39 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] damson.livejournal.com
No, seriously, thank you! I'm really glad it worked it for you. The fact that you commented had me grinning all day yesterday.

Date: 2006-10-11 09:46 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] a-phoenixdragon.livejournal.com
Damn!!! Wonderful, honey!! Absolutely love, love!!

*Hugs*

Date: 2006-10-12 10:41 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] damson.livejournal.com
Aww, thank you! I'm so pleased you liked it. :g:

Date: 2006-10-12 11:30 pm (UTC)
lark_ascends: Blue and purple dragonfly, green background (Default)
From: [personal profile] lark_ascends
Absolutely beautiful.

Date: 2006-10-16 01:10 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] damson.livejournal.com
Thank you!
Page generated Oct. 5th, 2026 11:43 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios